It can be annoying when you get a bunch of emails offering new credit cards in your mail. But it's not all bad.
Don't go crazy and apply. But if you can relate to these five scenarios, then it's time to look for a new credit card.
1. You want a card with rewards. If you use your card often, it makes sense to get one that gives you rewards.
2. You want to balance transfer. Get a new card with 0% APR, transfer your existing high-interest balance, and pay it off.
3. You want a better rate. There's no reason to pay high interest rates if you have a good score. Move to lower rates.
4. You want to improve your score. The lower your credit utilization ratio, the better your score if you get a new card.
5. You want a card that everyone accepts. Apart from American Express®, it makes sense to have a Visa® or Mastercard®.
Keep in mind though that applying for a new credit card lowers your score by a few points so be prepared.
Do your research, weigh the pros and cons, and only after that, apply for the card that best suits your needs.