Progress in women's representation has been slower at the manager and director levels, despite gains at the senior level.
This finding was reported by Lean In and McKinsey's Women in the Workplace study. Lean In’s CEO and co-founder said "the broken run" is the barrier.
The general gender pay gap remains relatively unchanged, but there's a narrowing trend among top executives.
Notably, women CEOs now exceed 10% representation within Fortune 500 companies for the first time.
However, because top leadership is normally where CEOs are selected from, more women in the C-suite is crucial in order to see women reach the highest levels.
Lean In's report reveals that systemic bias largely hinders women from accessing equal advancement opportunities.
The report's findings indicate that men occupy 60% of manager-level positions, leaving only 40% for women, resulting in a limited pool of female candidates for higher roles like directorships.
The job site Ladders found recently that salary bands have been leveling the playing field, which is good.
Stefanie O’Connell Rodriguez, host of “Money Confidential” podcast, said, “There’s a long way to go, but it’s still really promising."