Congrats! You've graduated and are all set to navigate new experiences, including your first credit card probably.
Establishing positive credit history will help you go a long way from getting a new car to renting a new apartment.
1. If you don't know your credit score, check it for free. This helps track your progress and know your credit status.
2. Prequalify before you apply: Ensure only soft inquiries are done. Once you're ready, apply and get a hard check.
3. Pay bills on time: Keep your balance low. Don't miss a single payment or max out a credit card. Don't damage your score.
4. Upgrade your student credit card: Instead of applying for a new one, you can ask your issuer to upgrade your card.
5. Start earning rewards: Look for ways to earn and redeem rewards on your credit card. Look for the best offers.
6. Stay in control: Don't overspend. Pay balances in full. Avoid carrying interest charges and don't get carried away.
Understanding credit early in life and setting yourself on the right path is crucial to reach your financial goals.