Credit cards are helpful for purchases and building a credit score, but you must use them wisely to avoid debt.
1. Spend within your means: The best way to avoid credit card debt is to ensure you are spending on a budget.
2. Pay off your balance in full: Avoid paying interest on credit card purchases by paying in full each billing cycle.
3. Pay more than the minimum: This will reduce the interest you pay and to help you pay off your credit cards faster.
4. Limit the credit cards you have: Multiple cards mean multiple chances of debt. Limit how many you have.
5. Review credit card transactions for errors: If you find an error, call the credit card company immediately to resolve it.
6. Avoid using your credit card for cash advances: Interest can start to add up from the minute you withdraw the cash.
7. Protect your card against unauthorized use: Keep your card in a safe place. Be careful buying merchandise online.
8. Tackle credit card debt strategically: Prioritize payments and decide which ones you will pay off first to clear debt.