For many, YouTube was the first platform to both create and enjoy a wide variety of digital content for free. So what is YouTube Premium and is it worth spending money on it? Here’s all you need to know about it.
YouTube Premium (formerly YouTube Red) is a paid subscription to content on YouTube without ads. In addition, you also get access to YouTube Music and YouTube Originals.
Is there a YouTube Premium Free Trial?
YouTube offers its Premium service to new users free for one month, after which you are charged as per the plan you have subscribed to. There are three main plans available:
- YouTube Premium Individual: This membership can only be used by one person. It cannot be shared.
- Enjoy ad-free content.
- YouTube can run in the background.
- Download content.
- Access YouTube Originals.
- Enjoy YouTube Music Premium.
- YouTube Premium Student: This plan is exclusively for students. It has the same benefits as the individual plan. At the end of your time as a student, your plan ends and you have to switch to the individual plan. Here’s who can get it and how:
- You need to be enrolled in a higher education institution full-time. Part-time students do not qualify.
- Once you qualify as a student, you are eligible for the student plan for four years.
- YouTube is strict about its rules and so it verifies your student status every year to continue your discounted price.
- YouTube Premium Family: This plan lets you share your YouTube Premium subscription with up to five others. The terms of the membership are listed below:
- All the members need to have separate Google accounts.
- They all need to reside in the same household.*
- None of the members should be part of another family group.
- They must be 13+ years of age.
There are some requirements for the manager of the Premium account as well:
- The manager has to be at least 18 years of age.
- The manager is the one who purchases the YouTube Premium account and makes the other membership decisions.
- The manager also needs to register through a Google account.
*Google verifies the subscribers’ information every 30 days to see if you are indeed living in the same household.
How much do these plans cost after the free trial?
The individual plan is $11.99/month or $119.99/year.
The family plan is $22.99/month.
The student plan is the cheapest at $6.00/month.
How to register for a YouTube Premium subscription?
On a web browser:
- Look for “YouTube Premium”. Log in to the account that you want to register.
- Click on “Try it free” and follow the instructions given step-by-step.
To register for the YouTube Premium Family plan, first, you need to create a family group on the Premium Family page by following the steps given on the website.
On the Android or iOS YouTube app:
- Click on your profile picture and choose “Paid Subscriptions”.
- Click on “Learn More” to choose the desired plan.
- Select “Or save money with a family or student plan” if you don’t want to try the individual plan.
- Click “Get family plan”, then select “Try it free”.
- Read and follow the rest of the instructions carefully to register.
Note: YouTube also lets you pause your subscription up to six months, once the current billing cycle ends. The subscription will automatically resume once the pause period you have chosen ends.
How can StellarFi maximize your YouTube Premium membership?
Becoming a registered user of the StellarFi Virtual Bill Pay Card can have numerous benefits for you. The best one among them being that you could potentially extend your free trial for another month just by paying bills!
All you need to do is subscribe to StellarFi and link your regular payments to the StellarFi Virtual Bill Pay Card. StellarFi helps you build a strong credit score by paying your bills on time for you. Just follow these steps:
- Sign up for StellarFi. Pick the Prime membership plan to try StellarFi FREE for one month!
- Add YouTube Premium to your StellarFi account.
- StellarFi’s referral credits system can be quite cost effective for you. Referring one friend to sign up to StellarFi gives you $5 in credit. This is just one dollar shy of the Premium Student plan.
- If two people join using your unique code, you get $10. The Premium Individual plan practically pays for itself in this case as you only pay $2 more.
StellarFi takes your bill-paying hassles away by helping you grow your credit score as StellarFi reports on-time monthly payments to all major credit bureaus. Other reasons you should sign up to StellarFi:
- No credit check or minimum score to join
- No deposit required
- No interest charges or surprise fees
- No new debt
StellarFi helps improve the credit factors that impact your score the most, by optimizing your payment history, credit utilization, credit mix, and more.
Get started with StellarFi
Join the credit-building revolution today! The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll reach your credit goals.